Listen. If you’re trying to get your shit together, I’m about to make this really easy for you. And really hard. At the same time.
It doesn’t matter what shit you’re trying to get together…fitness, career, relationships, whatever. It’s just this simple: ask yourself three questions, answer them honestly, and then GO.
Easier said than done, I know, because I am right in the middle of doing just that and it is so. freaking. hard. But I promise you, if you do this, and–not to get all ooey-gooey on you–do it from your heart, your path will be clear. Not clear of obstacles or challenges or detours, mind you, more like clear for takeoff.
OHHHHH, one thing. I’m going to do this in three parts, and today is just the first part. Tee hee! I’m kind of a tease. But as I wrote it all up, this post got to be very, VERY long and I decided to break it up for more effect, and because it’s my blog and I can do whatever I want.
So, let’s get down to brass tacks. Get a pen and paper, because we’ve got work to do!
First question: What do you want?
Sound easy? Stupid to ask, almost? Maybe. But don’t oversimplify this one…it’s harder than it sounds.
Do you even know what you want? Can you write it down in clear and certain terms? If you’re not already living the life you’ve imagined, this is the place to construct it, and don’t shortchange yourself. Let’s hear some goals that are worth working towards, people! Not some cockamamie crap like, “A decent job that pays me okay.” Who just wrote that down? REALLY? That’s so lame. Way to strive for mediocrity out there. I know you’ve got something better than that to work towards.
(Oh, and if you are a total badass who is already living the life you’ve imagined, ROCK ON!!! Set some newer, awesomer goals today!)
For examples, we’ll talk mostly in terms of fitness goals because that’s largely what this blog is about, but I might throw a few other kinds of examples in the mix. That’s just how I roll.
So here are some things that I want (disclaimer: this is not an exhaustive list):
- to drop my second 50 pounds (and in less time than it took me to drop the first 50)
- to be fit enough to do anything I want, anytime I want (Sure! I’ll run a 5k with you tomorrow!)
- to have a kickass body that makes me want to walk around naked all the time and that makes other people jealous (Yeah, I said it. This is the time to get real.)
- to inspire people with my writing and my journey, and ultimately be able to earn my living this way (What’s that? You’re interested in paying me to do that? Well, go ahead and shoot me an email at email@example.com. Like, right now, because I have a vacation coming up next week and some extra spending cash never hurt anyone.)
- to raise confident, kind, respectful, compassionate children who are NOT BRATS (I can rant another day about how many brats we are growing in our society right now…) and who never undersell themselves
I know I can achieve all these things. If you decide to make such a list, I know you can achieve everything on yours. We can do amazing things as long as we don’t let fear stand in our way.
What are you still sitting here reading this for? Why aren’t you writing down WHAT YOU WANT in clear and certain terms like, RIGHT NOW? Sheesh.
Hurry up and do it, because tomorrow I’m going to post the second question, and you better be ready for it. Seriously.